How to disable web results in Windows 10 search (as of 2022)
April 25, 2021
If this method stops working, please let me know so I can stop it from being included in search results. My email is on my about page.
Windows 10 includes web/Bing search results in its local search. Not great! There used to be a simple toggle to turn off web results. As of January 2022, that simple toggle is gone. Really not great!
This method from a recent reply to an old thread in a random Windows forum is the only way I was able to turn off web results.
Steps to disable web results:
- Open the Registry Editor (regedit)
- Navigate to "Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Search"
- Create a new "DWORD (32-bit) Value" and name it "BingSearchEnabled" by either right-clicking in the Registry Editor window or by clicking "Edit > New > ..."
- Make sure the value data for "BingSearchEnabled" is set to 0
- Either (1) restart the File Explorer process or (2) restart your computer
- Your Windows search bar should now be free of web/Bing search results